I was super excited to be invited to the #TNTDC Lunch and Learn to learn about two of my favorite subjects: Travel and Technology!
Plus, I was going to be able to meet some bloggers that I only get to see in person when we connect at events like this so THAT was going to be fun!
Here is what you missed:
Room Tours of the Willard. I was drop-jawed in AWE of the beauty of these rooms. The details, the spaciousness of the rooms and the amenities. The room views weren’t bad either!
There is SO MUCH HISTORY in this hotel!
Some of my favorite historical trivia about this hotel are:
- During his presidency, Ulysses S. Grant often would leave the pressures of the White House and sit in the lobby of the Willard. (Can you image a President just sitting in the lobby of a hotel to get a moment of piece these days!) As word spread of President Grant’s fondness of the lobby, people would look for him and argue their individual cases.Grant was said to have called these people “lobbyists.”
- President Roosevelt’s daughter, Alice, was often in Peacock Alley and was once caught smoking a cigarette in the Willard Room. (oh, the scandal!)
- The Willard Room served as a movie location for Steven Spielberg’s film, Minority Report.
A most celebrated historic Washington DC hotel, the Willard InterContinental Washington, has been the focal point for elegant dinners, meetings, and gala social events for more than 150 years. An institution, this grand Washington DC historic hotel has hosted almost every U.S. president since Franklin Pierce in 1853. On August 28, 1963, the Reverend Martin Luther King finished his famous “I Have A Dream” speech while a guest at the Willard. Other notable guests have included Charles Dickens, Buffalo Bill, David Lloyd George, P.T. Barnum, Lord and Lady Napier, and countless others. Walt Whitman mentioned the hotel in his works; and Mark Twain penned two books here in the early 1900s. Throughout the ages, no phrase has raised eyebrows like “I’m staying at the Willard.”
Launching July 1: Kid Concierge Service
Launching July 1 there will be a Kid Concierge Service at the Willard. Kids are going have a wonderful experience at the hotel and here are a few details on what is to come:
- Pre-Arrival Check list. Look for a special email from the hotel to ensure your kids needs and wants are covered before your arrive.
- Millie Mile Adventure – Learn about Millie the Duck in residence and her adventures through an interactive Google Map.
- Watch for weekly Willard History tours, age appropriate, of course.
- Kid friendly Restaurant options
- Take advantage of museum partnerships such as Madame Tussauds, National Zoo and the Smithsonian Carousel.
- Treasure Chest: full of games, flash cards and rainy day activities.
- Special children’s amenity programs to recognize the youngest of guests at the Willard.
- Ducks and Bucks: borrow a book from the American Themed lending library and earn a Millie Buck (or two!) when you return it. Turn in your Millie bucks at select locations for a delicious treat!
Speaking of delicious treats!
Check out a sample of the treats you can have sent to the room for your kids!
Our #dessert @willard_intercontinentaldc is sampling of what will be on the kids special amenities offering starting July 1. 🎉 Red White and Blue #chocolate dipped strawberries 🍓, Millie the Duck sugar cookies, vanilla bean infused #milk with miniature #cookies . What a treat for the kids! #familytravel #hosted #tntdc #willarddc #travel #luxarytravel #dc #washingtondc
A photo posted by Sarah B Mock 🌸🍷🍴✈️👠 (@sarahbmock) on
Technology: Here are my favorties:
We got to learn about some of the pieces of technology that will make our summer travels more enjoyable!
The thing that sucks up the MOST time on busy mornings is finding my keys. I KNOW you are suppose to keep them in ONE place, ALWAYS but the there, Etc. But in my world, the real world, that doesn’t happen. I have always said that they need to make a thing I an put on my keys so I can call it when I loose my keys.
Turns out there is a product and it is called Orbit. All you do is download the free app on your phone, sync it to Orbit and you are all set up!
If you are within 100 feet of your keys it will beep and let you know where they are when you push the ‘Find Orbit’ button on the app. The batter lasts for up to 6 months, it is splash proof, doubles as a selfie remote, has a replace battery and life indicator and has a ‘last seen’ location on the map.
But one of my FAVORITE features is that your Orbit can ring your phone if you have lost your phone! YES! Your keys can call your phone and your phone can call your keys.
Life just got a bit simpler in my house!
With 3 kids under 12 in our house and all of them loving their devices worry about their hearing with ear buds. These TinyPhones from JVC have taken that worry away from me. These headphones makes the volume safer for children by keeping the disables at 85. For comparison normal conversation is usually 60 dB and a car horn is 110dB.
They are fitted for little ears and the headbands adjusts. Included are fun stickers for your kids to decorate and customize them.
- Charge in the sun or from an outlet
- Full battery after 12 to 24 hrs in the sun
- Charges a smartphone in approx. 2 hrs
- Flexible positioning: tabletop, on a bottle or hanging from the ceiling
- Buy a WakaWaka and you also give a solar light to a family caught in crisis and living without access to electricity.
WAKA WAKA POWER+ is the quintessential entry point into the solar revolutionfor anyone on the go who hates to be left without power. A rugged, ultraefficient solar flashlight and charger beautifully designed to help people plug into the sun for power and light, WakaWaka Power+ will charge smartphones and other USBpowereddevices. A few hours in the sun and the brilliant Dutchdesigned Power+ flashlight and charger puts 150 hours of light and a smartphone charge in the palm of users’ hands: no batteries or outlet necessary.
WakaWaka (“shine bright” in Swahili) is an awardwinning social enterprise that develops, manufactures and markets the world’s most efficient solar flashlights and smartphone chargers. All of our products are proud examples of worldfamous Dutch design and aesthetic. WakaWaka’s exciting suite of premium personal solar products are vital additions to today’s mobile, adventurous and conscious lifestyles, essential for everyone from renaissance moms and dads to modernday explorers,urban, suburban or way (way) off the beaten path.
On a mission to share the abundant power of the sun, WakaWaka’s safe, sustainable solar products serve everyone from the billions seeking convenient, portable and renewable power and light to the billions who live without the luxury of a light switch. The company’s rugged, ultraefficient solar solutions have empowered more than a million people living offgrid with lifesaving,life enhancing solar power: premium products for all markets. Connect with WakaWaka and our global Agents of Light community on Facebook , Twitter or Instagram and share your WakaWaka experience.
We have been LOVING the 360 videos on Facebook and now it looks like they will be rolling out the option to us all soon. So, I am going to be needing a 360 camera! This Ricoh Theta give you full spherical capture. Look up, down and all around as if you are actually THERE!
- 360 Degree Spherical Panorama images and Spherical Videos up to 25 minutes
- Live view function on mobile device
- Transfer videos directly to your mobile device without the need of a computer
- Full HD Video at 30fps
- 360 Degree Spherical Video Supported by YouTube