Easy Thanksgiving Turkey Brine Dry Mix Recipe
If you are looking for the most flavorful, succulent, delicious Thanksgiving turkey you should use my recipe for an easy Thanksgiving turkey brine dry mix recipe. Great for a hostess gift or a gift exchange.
Brining meat, in this case your Thanksgiving turkey, is the process of soaking the meat in a salt water solution that is full of other flavors. The salt water will help the meat to retain moisture. We all love a flavorful, moist Thanksgiving turkey and this is how I prepare my Thanksgiving turkey each year.
- 1 cup salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 mandarin orange peels, dried.
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs of sage
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns
Dried Orange Peel
This recipe calls for dried mandarin orange peels. I dried mine in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. It is important for all the moisture to be out of the orange peels if you are going to be storing this dry bring recipe.
** you can substitute lemon peel if you don’t have an orange**
Combine all the ingredients and store in a tight container. I have a LOT of mason jars in the house that us in all my caning projects so I store this recipe in a mason jar with a lid and a ring.
To Use The Brine
- Place your thawed Thanksgiving turkey (see how to Safely Thaw A Frozen Turkey in this post) in a large pot.
- Fill the pot with cold water until the turkey is submerged.
- Remove the turkey.
- Pour the brine mixture in the water and stir until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved.
- Replace the turkey in the brine.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for 12-18 hours.
- Remove the turkey and roast.