Cold Thai Rice Salad with Spicy Peanut Sauce and Cashews
A super easy side dish to take to picnics, potlucks or just enjoy as a side dish, my recipe for cold Thai rice salad with spicy peanut sauce and cashews will have everyone asking you for the recipe. The secret to the sweet rice is the coconut milk. The recipe flavor profile is rounded out with the crunch of the cashews and the kick of heat in the peanut sauce.
Cold Thai Rice Salad Ingredients:
- 1 /2 Cups Mahatma’s Jasmine Rice (Click HERE for a $1.50 off coupon through 6/30/17) Print twice!
- 1 (15 oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
Cold Thai Rice Salad Mix Ins:
- 1 Red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 head Red Cabbage, shredded
- 1½ cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cashews
Spicy Peanut Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Freshly Grated Ginger
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flake
- Water to thin
- Lime wedges
- Rinse the Mahatma’s Jasmine Rice well until the water runs clear.
- In a medium-sized pot, mix together the rice, coconut milk, garlic, and water. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once the pot reaches a rolling boil, reduce heat to low (careful not to scorch the bottom of the rice) and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, turn off heat and let sit (with lid on) for an additional 10 minutes.
Salad Mix Ins:
Finely shred the red cabbage.
Use a sharp knife or a food processor with the slicing atachment.
It is important the cabage be finely shredded so there are not large chunks of cabbage in this Thai rice salad.
Finely dice the onion.
If you are not a fan of red onion, you can add a lesser amount. I think the recipe needs a bit of onion in it so please don’t omit it completely.
Red Bell Pepper
Remove the seeds and the membrane of the red bell pepper and finely dice the pepper.
Once again people have a ‘love it’ or ‘hate it’ relationship with cilantro. I am in ‘team love’.
Chop one bunch, or about 1 cup of cilantro.
Finely chop 1 bunch, or about 6 green onions. I stopped when I got to the white part of the onions.
Feel free to add the whites if you choose.
Spicy Peanut Sauce
This is my favorite peanut sauce because it is so easy! Make it as spicy or as mild as you like.
Warm the honey and the peanut butter in the microwave.
Whisk in the rest of the ingredients to the peanut butter and the honey. Add 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the sauce.
Thin the sauce to a pourable consistency with a bit of water. The more water, the thinner it will be.
Once the rice has cooled, fluff the rice and mix in the chopped vegetables.
Drizzle with the spicy peanut sauce, top with cashews and serve with a few lime wedges.
Check your Valpak envelopes to get an additional $1.50 off Mahatma Rice coupon that’s available in select cities.
Redeem your coupon at Walmart.