Super Easy Candy Cane Chocolate Whoppie Pies
Every season or so, GIANT Food Stores come out with limited edition products that we all wish were not just ‘limited edition’. There was the lemonciello inspired items that were here in the beginning of the summer. Did you see my recipe for Limoncello Pesto Grilled Chicken with Limoncello Risotto? I am still missing the risotto and the cookies. Giant, can we get the cookies back? I seem to have a love affair with all things risotto recently. (See my recipe for Meatless Steak and Blu Cheese Risotto)
Then in early fall it was limited edition Pumpkin. I do admit, I did grab a few of the pumpkin pasta sauces and I am saving them for a cold night. And the chips! Can I just put in my request for them to bring them back next year?
So this brings me to the present. Presently Giant has a whole line of Peppermint flavored products here for a limited time. Peppermint favoring is being featured in:
- Chocolate Sandwich cookies
- Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Chocolate bark
- Chocolate Dipped Marshmallows (YES please!)
- Gelato (mine…it is all mine)
- Ice Cream
- and so many more!
But I wanted to draw special attention the the Peppermint flavored chocolate whoopie pie mix. There is great debate as to the origins of the Whoppie Pie but seeing as this post is written in Pennsylvania, I have ancestors who are Pennsylvania Dutch and the winner of the giveaway at the end of this post has to be from Pennsylvania, we will say that PENNSYLVANIA is the cradle of the whoopie pie. PLUS my son LOVES whoopie pies and had them instead of cake at his last birthday.
Check out how easy it is to make the Limited Edition Giant Food Stores Peppermint Flavored Chocolate Whoopee Pies.
Heat oven to 375.
- 6 Tablespoons of butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- Chocolate Whoppie Pie mix
- Beat the soften butter with a 1/2 cup of chocolate whoopie pie mix.
- Add egg, milk and remaining mix
- Mix until everything is well incorporated and smooth
- Drop 1 tablespoon batter onto prepared baking sheet. ( I use silicone baking sheets )
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Cakes are done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- 6 tablespoons soft butter
- Add contents of peppermint filling packet to a mixing bowl.
- Add butter
- Beat on high speed until smooth and fluffy, 1-2 minutes.
- Add a few drops of milk if filling is too dry. (I added milk)
Once the cakes are cool, fill the pies with the peppermint filling.
I use a pastry bag but you are welcome to use a spoon or any method you find works for you!
Top with a second cake. WHOOPIE!
Roll the cakes in the Candy Cane Flakes for garnish. YUMMY!
Enjoy and try not to eat them all in one sitting.
Are you looking for more easy, delicious recipes for this holiday season? Giant has so many ideas in their Savory magazine. Pick one up for free at the store with your Bonus card or check it out online.