9 Ways to Save on Back To School Supplies
Also read: Back To School Traditions
- End of Summer Sales. Just because it is the end of summer doesn’t mean that it stops being summer weather! End of summer sales usually begin mid July so they can clear out merchandise for fall. Take advantage to the savings and grab clothes that can be worn through early fall or buy the next size up and pack it away for next summer. It is a great feeling pulling out brand new clothes at the start of summer that you saved big on at the close of last season.
- Only Buy What Is On The List. The school will more than likely send home a supply list. If you are looking to save, stick to the list. If the list does not call for locker decorations or glitter glue, don’t buy them!
- Buy Quality. Spend the extra $10 for the backpack that has a guarantee against normal wear and tear or look for a more durable 3 ring binder. Spending a bit more in the beginning can save you from repurchasing supplies half way through the year when supplies are full price and hard to find. We are big fans of the Lands’ End backpacks and lunch boxes. Spend the extra few dollars and have their initial or monogram embroidered on it, especially on the lunch box. This will make getting the correct lunch box so much simpler.
- Buy Big And Split It Up. Partner together with another family and purchase supplies from an office supply store or savings club in the larger packs. Split the supplies as well as the savings.
- Cherry Pick Your Sale. Stores will offer great deals such as $.10 boxes of crayons or .01 pencils to entice you to get in the door for back to school shopping. Put your blinders on to the higher priced items when you go to these stores. Get in, get your sale item and get out.
- Grocery Stores. Don’t forget to check out grocery stores for special back to school savings on supplies. You are at the store already. Often they have similar sales to other stores on back to school supplies.
- Uniform Swap. If your student wears a uniform organize a uniform swap! Trading sizes between families can save everyone in the end. Our school has Lands’ End as their uniform supplier. I love that they run sales and specials ALL THE TIME to help with the cost of uniforms. My favorite is the .01 logo. Check and see if your uniform supplier offers similar deals.
- Shop Your House. Open drawers, look in closets, and check the back pack looking for school supplies. A school supply does not have to be a NEW school supply.
- Promotional Pens & Pencils . Rummage in your junk drawer or pencil cup for those promotional pens and pencils that you picked up at the bank, store or state fair. Now your child’s pencil pouch is full of color and can easily identify their pencil or pen as it is not like their neighbors.