Delicious Savory Roasted Chickpeas
If you are looking for a crunchy, savory, healthy snack that is not only high in protein but easily popped into your mouth you have to try my recipe for savory roasted chickpeas. They cost pennies per serving and are made with just a few ingredients!
Chickpeas, or garbanzo beans as they are sometimes called, can be cooked and eaten cold in salads, cooked in stews, ground into a flour called gram flour (also known as chickpea flour and besan and used frequently in Indian cuisine), ground and shaped in balls and fried as falafel, stirred into a batter and baked to make farina or panel. They cost about .65 per 15 oz can and are even cheaper per ounce if you can find them dried and cook them yourself.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (canned is fine. Drain, Rinse & Dry)
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika (regular is fine if you don’t have smoked)
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Rinse, drain and pat the chickpeas dry with paper towels.
- Combine the spices and toss with the chickpeas to coat.
- Bake on a cookie sheet with sides in a 400* oven for 40 minutes string every 10 minutes.
- The last 5 minutes pull a few chick peas out and allow it to cool. Check for desired crunch. If not crunchy enough bake for an additional 5 minutes.
This spice mixture can easily be multiplied to make a larger batch for easy future use. If you would like to make more of your own spice mixes you are going to want to check out my post on 5 homemade spice mixes. It is a great way to pinch pennies by making up the mixes you use every week in your cooking. You have control on what goes into the mix and it is very cost effective!