Did you know that Giant Food Stores have a registered dietician on staff at three of their Central Pennsylvania locations? They are here to serve you, their customer. You can make an appointment and get a one hour consultation, as many times as you like!
No insurance needed, no co-pay needed. I check with my expensive health insurance and I don’t have the option to meet with a dietician! But I can meet with one at Giant and no out of pocket expense. That is an amazing service, in my opinion.
Here are the locations:
How It Works:
- Call and make an appointment. (allow for a full hour… they are very thorough)
- Scan your bonus card with the nutritionist.
- Pay $20 BUT you are given back a $20 Giant gift card at the end of the appointment.
- Fill out a nutrition questionnaire so the nutritionist can better serve you.
- Talk and learn!
Common Topics Of Consultation:
- Food allergies
- Meal planning
- Weight loss and accountability
- Diabetes management
- Shopping the store for healthier choices
- Heathy eating for kids and you!
Last week I made an appointment with Holly at the Enola location and we talked about healthy summer snack choices for the kids. We are mid way through the summer and I have to admit, we are in a bit of a ‘slump’. But after this appointment we are set for the rest of the summer and into back to school snacking. My son even found a new cereal that he LOVES. I love it because it is a healthier version of another cereal I would cringe at when it ended up in the grocery cart.
Key points for healthier snacking:
- Eat every 3-4 hours. This helps maintain a steady blood sugar.
- A snack should be a carb and a protein. They work together to keep you fuller, longer.
- A snack should have 8 grams of sugar or less.
- Healthy snacking is good to keep energy levels up!
- Triscuits and natural peanut butter (or nut butter)
- Greek yogurt (Try it stirred, and then frozen!)
- Trail mix of dried fruit and nuts
- Cantaloupe and Dark Chocolate dusted almonds
- Stove top popcorn (it is a whole grain!) and a hard boiled egg (she suggest this because my daughter LOVES hard boiled eggs… it was part of our inquiry conversation)
- Smoothies with fruit and veggies
- Fruit kabobs with cheese
- Whole wheat tortilla with banana and peanut butter
- Mini zucchini muffins
- Ants on a log
- Rice cake with greek yogurt spread and fresh fruit
Holly had several snacks for the kids to try. 3 out of 4 were winners for my kids. They were ALL winners for me!
Here is what we sampled:
- The Good Bean Chick Peas (or make your own with my recipe)
- Blue Diamond Dusted Almonds
- Sea Point Farms Dried Edamame
After we talked about what the kids do and do not like along with healthier choices, we took a tour of the grocery store. I love this part because Holly was able to show me and the kids products that we would like that I would not normally have know what on the shelf. If you are like me, you get into a groove of what you like to buy and your family will eat, and you don’t step out of your comfort zone.
This was the big winner for my family. A cinnamon flavored cereal with only 5 grams of sugar WITH 5 grams of fiber. PLUS it is non GMO verified. Yes!!
We bought this box… more on that in a minute.
I would have never thought to check out these Sargento Balance Breaks. But with 7 grams of protein and only 180 calories I grabbed 2 and tossed them in my basket.Perfect for snack break at summer camp for the kids! Plus, not chopping and measuring for me when I am trying to get 3 kids out the door in the morning.
We walked out of our appointment with not only some great healthier summer snack ideas for the kids, but a better appreciation of the variety of products that Giant keeps on the the shelves for our family.
Make Your Own: Trail Mix
Holly gave me a super simple recipe that included some of the new snacks the kids sampled. It has everything in it that they love!
- 1 cup low Sugar cereal (I am using Barbara’s Cinnamon Puffins)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup almonds or walnuts (I shop the bulk bins)
- 1/4 cup Nature’s Promise Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/4 cup Good Bean Cinnamon Roasted Chick Peas (or make your own)
- 1/4 cup Dark Chocolate Chips (optional)
Mix all ingredients together and serve in 1/2 cup portions.
Did you know Giant had this service?