Healthy Baking Swaps That May Surprise You
Tis the season for baking, cookie swaps and eating. It is the most delicious time of year but it can also be the time of year that we consume the most calories. Delicious calories but calories are still calories. Before you turn on the oven or before you say YES to one more part check out these healthy baking swaps.Your waistline may thank you!
1 Cup White Flour —-> 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
The whole wheat flour is not as processed as while flour and still contains the wheats germ, bran and fiber. Plus whole wheat flour is a good source of calcium, iron and essential minerals.
- Works best with breads.
- Additional moisture may be needed
1 Egg —-> 2 Egg Whites
If you are trying to be mindful of your cholesterol this is a healthy substitute for you!
- This is great for egg based dishes
- This substitution works in baking but it is better to only make this substitution to 1/2 the eggs.
1 Cup Oil —-> 1 Cup Apple Sauce
This was a tip I learned in Culinary college oh so many years ago and it works beautifully!
- Other fruit sauces can be used such as peach or pear.
- The baking time may be reduced.
- Do a 50/50 split substitution for a more true to texture substitution but you will be looking out on the healthy substitution benefits.
1 Cup Butter —-> 1 Cup Ripe Avocado
This is a great substitution for your baked items such as cookies, bar cookies and brownies. This eliminates the saturated fat and adds in healthy fats all while reducing the calories.
- Make sure the avocado is ripe but not over ripe.
- The avocado incorporates better into your recipe when it is pureed.
Chocolate Chips —-> Dried fruit
This substation works well when making cookies and granola bars. Except when making chocolate chips cookies! What is a chocolate chip cookie with out chocolate chips!? In this case, be sure to use dark chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate chips for added antioxidants.
1 Cup Sour Cream —>1 Cup Cottage Cheese
This is a great substitution for dips when sour cream is not the main ingredient. Or if it is the main ingredient, substitute in a portion of cottage cheese for the sour cream. Cottage cheese is a rich source of calcium and protein as well as lower in fat and calories.
- Be sure to pure the cottage cheese so it is of a smooth consistency.
Graham Crackers for Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Substitute in equal parts reduced fat graham crackers for high fat chocolate sandwich cookies. You will be reducing not only the fat but calories with out giving up the consistency or delicious flavor.
Other tips as suggested by GIANT Food Stores for when you are not baking:
When the recipe calls for———>Try This Instead:
- Mayonnaise ——–>plain, non-fat yogurt,fat-free mayonnaise + lemon juice or mashed avocado
- Oil based marinades——–>wine, balsamic vinegar, pineapple juice
- 2 slices regular bacon——–>2 slices turkey or Canadian bacon
- Oil packed tuna——–> Water Packed Tuna
- Heavy Cream ——-> Evaporated skim milk
- Cream Cheese ——–> neufchâtel cheese, low fat cottage cheese (pureed smooth)
- Sour Cream ——–> non fat Greek Yogurt
- Cheese for Mac & Cheese ——–> substitute 1/2 the cheese with pureed butternut squash or cauliflower
- Ice Cream ——-> Frozen Yogurt
- 1 cup Buttermilk ——–> 1 Tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar + enough skim milk to make 1 cup
- Whipped Cream ——–> evaporated skim milk; chilled until almost frozen and then whipped
- Bread crumbs———> oatmeal (quick oats) or crushed bran cereal
- Salt ——-> fresh garlic, onion, celery, hers, vinegar or salt-free seasoning.
GIANT Food Stores want to help its customers save time, money and eat well from Thanksgiving through New Year’s and every festive celebration in between.
Be sure to pick up the latest copy of Savory Magazine when you are at the store. When you use your bonus card it is free! It is full of beautiful photographs, simple, delicious recipes to make your holidays more festive and memorable. PLUS there are manufacture and GIANT exclusive coupons in each issue.
Do you love a video? You KNOW I do! Savory has instructional videos to go along with their popular recipes. Here is an example of what you will find: