Lake Tobias Wildlife Park in central Pennsylvania is a family friendly travel destination that is perfect for school groups, day trips and family reunions. Home school groups and scout troops will love all the educational opportunities at this interactive zoo and park.
How many acres is Lake Tobias?
Lake Tobias Wildlife Park is situation on over 150 acres of rolling hills in central Pennsylvania. Home to Zoo exhibits, a reptile and exotic animals house, an amazing interactive safari tour, petting zoo and an education center Lake Tobias is a gem of a Zoo in Pennsylvania.
Can you feed the animals on the wildlife Safari?
This was my favorite activity at Lake Tobias. To be able to lean over the edge of the open air safari bus and hand feed the safari animals. Be sure to purchase a cup of approved food from the concession stand before you board the safari tour. Carrots, popcorn and animal kibble are all options. I found the carrots to be the best choice as you can hold the carrot at the end and not feel like your fingers will be nipped.
The cup we purchased was enough for the safari tour and then we saved some to feed the goats in the petting zoo. Those goats are FRIENDLY!
Reptile & Exotics Building at Lake Tobias
If you need to get out of the heat of the day or if you need to sit visit the Reptile and Exotics building for one of the 20 minute educational reptile shows. Learn about the zoo conservation efforts that are going into trying to save these animals and some of the animals may even be brought out of their facilities so you can get a better look. Have your camera close because there will be photo opportunities.
Stroll through the building at any time and you will see poison dart frogs, pythons, tamarins, marmoset, tropical birds, alligators, lizards, large tortoises, a two-toed tree sloth, and more.
More Family Friendly Travel Destinations:
- Discovery Cove Orlando
- SummerFest at Gaylord National
- Rocking Horse Ranch
- Walt Disney Family Museum
- The Walt Disney Concert Hall
- Madame Tussauds Hollywood
Did you know you can go fishing at Lake Tobias?
Lake Tobias does offer catch-and-release fishing for its guest at the main lake which holds bass, trout and bluegills. With paid park admission, a fishing fee of $3.00 will be charged to all those ages 13 years and older.
- Children ages 12 years and younger may fish for free if they are accompanied by a paying fisherman of at least 16 years of age.
- Fishing is catch and release only.
- All fishermen are required to supply their own bait and rod.
- A fishing license is not required.
- The lake is open for fishing during park hours only.
Where is Lake Tobias Wildlife Park?
The Lake Tobias address is 760 Tobias Drive, Halifax, PA 17032. Look for the Lake Tobias sign at the Tobias Road entrance. Four miles north of Halifax and 25 miles north of Harrisburg, we are located just off of Route 225 near Fisherville.
What animals are at the Zoo exhibit at Lake Tobias Wildlife Park?
Allow at least an hour to walk through and meet all the Zoo animals at Lake Tobias. The peacock, along with various chickens and guinea roam the park freely interacting with guests so you will be sure to have a different Zoo experience than any other Zoo. Visit and interact with these animals:
Does Lake Tobias have giraffes?
Lake Tobias is home to three Reticulated Giraffes, Spike, Bakari, and Tucker. Roaming in their pasture of over three acres of land to explore and play, or interact with park visitors.
You can meet Spike, Bakari, and Tucker at their own elevated feeding platform. You are able to purchase special food for the giraffes and get up close and personal as they take the food right out of your hands. A limited supply of food will be sold during each feeding time so that the giraffes maintain a healthy weight.
Giraffe Feeding Times at Lake Tobias Wildlife Park:
- Visitors may feed the giraffes at 10:30, 1:00, and 4:00. Only food sold at the Giraffe Food Booth is permitted to feed the giraffes. You can purchase various vegetables or Acacia branches for the giraffes to enjoy.
Does Lake Tobias have food?
You are more than welcome to pack a picnic lunch when you visit the park. Lake Tobias has many covered pavilions with picnic tables for guests to relax and enjoy their meal. Tables are first come first serve but can be reserved for $10 each if you want to guarantee you have a spot to sit. We visited on a weekday with a school group and there was more than enough places to sit.
If you don’t pack a lunch or snack but want to purchase food or snacks Lake Tobias has 4 locations to serve you. Hub Refreshment Stand, the Grille & Grub and the Chill Zone and Safari Station are ready to serve you. Drinks, popcorn, candy, burgers, fries, bison burgers, subs, pretzel bun sandwiches as well as a large variety of frozen treats including hand-dipped ice cream, Slush Puppies and giant freeze pops are available for purchase.
How much does Lake Tobias Wildlife Park cost?
Lake Tobias Wildlife park has season passes, walking around passes, explorer tickets and military discount tickets available. Parking is always FREE. All major credit cards accepted, no personal checks, no refunds due to weather.
- Walk-About Ticket – $8/person – Includes park admission, Zoo Exhibits, Petting Zoo, Reptile Building and show, and J.R. Tobias Museum & Education Center.
- Explorer Ticket – $15/Person – Includes park admission, zoo exhibits, Petting Zoo, Reptile Building and show, J.R. Tobias Museum & Education Center and Safari Tour.
- Military Admission –FREE– Complimentary Explorer Ticket every day for all active members of the military and veterans. Military ID is required and discount is only applicable to the service member.
- Children 2 & Under – FREE – Children 2 and under are always free.
- Season Pass – $40/Person – Season Passes are good for one Walk-About Ticket per visit during the season. Safari tour tickets must be purchased separately.
Does Lake Tobias have package deals or group rates?
To qualify for a Package Deal or group rate at Lake Tobias, your group must include a minimum of 20 people ages 3 to adult. Children 2 years old and under are free. Package deals include pre-paid passes and packs of animal food to hand feed the animals.
- Additional park passes may be purchased at the group rate of $7.00 (without safari) or $12.00 (safari included) for extra guests not included in your initial Package Deal.
- Choose from carrots, food pellets, or popcorn for your animal food packs when reserving the date for your package deal.
- Tables may be purchased as part of a Package Deal at the discounted rate of $5.00 per table. Each table is 16 feet long and seats approximately 14 adults.
- All Package Deals must be purchased with a credit card at least two weeks prior to the date of your scheduled event.
- Tickets are mailed to the customer at no additional charge.
Is Lake Tobias open year round?
Lake Tobias wildlife park is not open year round but has seasonal hours from May through October.
- May Hours – Weekdays 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Weekends May-Labor Day 9:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Weekdays Memorial Day-Labor Day 9:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Weekends after Labor Day 9:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Can visitors rent strollers at Lake Tobias park?
If you are traveling and don’t have a stroller you can rent wagons and children’s carts at the HUB concession stand.
Pin to Pinterest: