You have made your plans for the beach vacation but no one planned on it raining! What is a family to do!? The majority of these activities are screen-free.
Rainy day actives for the beach.
- Board Games - My family loves to pull out a board game not only on a rainy day at the beach but at home too! If you are lucky, and if your beach house is stocked, they will have a stack of games for you to play. If not you can always bring your own! Board games are great because they travel well and are self-contained in their boxes. Tip: keep small pieces in zip top bags.
- Card Games - If you are not a board game person you might be a card game person. I know that Uno is a family favorite in our house! We started teaching the kids at about 18 months old and we don't 'let' them win. Nope. We teach strategy and critical thinking from an early age. Also, we find that if the kids have a cardholder it helps them not get as frustrated with keeping all their cards together. I have a link to both Uno and a cardholder in the widget below.
- Dolphin Watching! - You will be surprised how many dolphins you can spot while it is raining, or at least sprinkling.
- Storm Watching - Watch the storm roll in from a safe place. Often we get caught up in 'reality' TV. Well, reality is rolling past your window.It is a great way to spark conversations about weather and science.
- Indoor Pool - If your resort or condo complex has an indoor pool, go hang out there. I don't know if you are like me but when I am at the beach I often forget about indoor pool because my focus is on outdoor activities.
- Coloring - Coloring is not just for kids! It has been shown to help adults relax too! There is something about the smell of the crayons and the rhythm of the colored pencil strokes that takes me back to my childhood and less stressful times. Enjoy the sound of the rain while you color. If you are looking for some FREE activity pages and coloring sheets I have a whole list of Disney ones HERE.
- Read - Yes. It might be obvious but you might want to read a book! You should check out my kindle section of the blog for free Kindle Downloads. Also if you are staying at a beach rental, chances are there is a collection of books on a shelf. Every rental we have ever stayed in is stocked with books. Check them out! They might be a title you would not normally read!
- Nap - Yes take a nap. Napping is one of my favorite things to do. Well, sleeping is one of my favorite things to do and I don't do enough of it on vacation. When was the last time you fell asleep to the sounds of the rain? It is relazing and put me in a deep sleep.
- Mani/Pedi - You can do a DIY on a rainy day or see if a local place has walk in appointments. I am sure they would be happy for the extra business on a rainy day!
- Dance Party - Crank up the tunes and dance like no one is watching! Get the wiggles out and dance, dance, dance.
What do YOU do on a rainy day at the beach?
published July 12, 2016