We just installed a Lorex wireless home security camera system at our home and on our out buildings. It’s like breathing a sigh of relief. Spoiler alert, we have had security issues at our home and I wish I had installed outdoor security cameras years ago.
Here are my tips on choosing and installing outdoor wireless home security cameras.
Who needs a home security camera?
Not just homeowners, but renters can benefit from the security and technology of a wireless home security camera system. People who are vacation home owners as well as those with detached garages and sheds or boat/RV storage should have a camera security system as part of keeping their property secure. Video surveillance is important for law enforcement and increases the chances that a criminal will be found. Additionally, security cameras will help alert you that something is going on and allow you to call law enforcement immediately.
What are the features and advantages of a Lorex wireless home security camera system?
- 6 Battery Powered Black Outdoor Metal Cameras
- Ultra-Wide Lens
- 150ft Night Vision
- Two-Way Audio Speaker-Mic
- 1TB Hard Drive
- 600 Ft Wireless range
- Local storage. No need to rely on off site storage!
- Low battery warning
- Infrared night vision
- Wire-free cameras are completely cable free
- No Monthly maintenance fees!
- Free App
Outdoor home security camera installation tips:
- Position the camera no more than 20 ft. away from the area you want monitored.
- Be sure the camera is at least 7 feet off the ground and angle it slightly downward toward the monitoring area, excluding busy areas such as sidewalks or streets.
- Ensure the camera image is free from obstructions such as tree branches or hanging flags.
- Install the camera within range of the recorder…see your manual for recommendations.
- Position the camera so that the objects of interest will move from side to side across the camera view rather than moving to or away from the camera.
- The Lorex HD Wire-Free security system is weather resistant but try and instal in a sheltered location for best results.
How can I hide my security cameras outside?
Here are my suggestions on places to hide your security cameras in plain sight.
- In your mailbox – drill a lens size hole in the back of your mailbox and outfit the camera in the mailbox.
- Next to an existing light – tuck the camera next to an already existing outdoor light feature.
- In a hanging plant – hang a fake plant and have your camera tucked in the leaves.
- Paint it to look like the siding – If your house is grey, paint your camera grey and hang it on your siding. Camouflage in plain sight.
- Bird house – tuck the camera in a bird house. Just be sure the birds don’t build a nest and block the camera!
- High in a tree – Take advantage of natural surroundings and put a security camera in a tree.
Do security cameras record all the time?
The Lorex Wire-Free security camera is motion activated. It measures and detects infrared heat energy radiating from objects to actively recognize moving motion patterns in its field of view of the camera. If there is nothing moving there is nothing to record. All movement will be recorded.
How long do home security cameras keep footage?
The Lorex 1080p Wire Free Camera System records up to 2 years of motion video clips. They are easy to review and stored on your own secure DVR for up to 2 years. Plus there are no hidden or monthly cloud storage fees. For a full list of compatible recorders, visit lorextechnology.com/compatibility
How much is the storage fee for storing my security footage?
There are no hidden fees after purchase with this wire-free system. The security grade hard drive has more than enough space to store your video footage, so there’s no need to spend extra money on monthly cloud storage. The Lorex Cirrus app is also free of charge.
How far can security cameras see?
The Lorex wireless security cameras are wire-free cameras. They have a powerful long-range signal and can be installed up to 600ft away from the receiver (with a clear line-of-site). Place the cameras wherever you need or think you need them.
Will all the wifi in my neighborhood mess up my wireless security cameras?
The Lorex wire free cameras use adaptive DSSS (Direct-Sequence Spread Spectrum) technology to reduce the amount of interference that comes from your neighbors Wi-Fi or mobile signals. This type of signal generates a channel hopping sequence created by the receiver that only the camera can follow through the “pairing” function. So in short, no. Other wifi around your wireless cameras will not mess up the signals.
Can surveillance cameras see in the dark?
Not all surveillance cameras can see in the dark but the Lorex system does! it has long distance, infrared night vision. The cameras come equipped with infrared LED lights to make sure any footage captured at night is crisp and clear. I feel more secure with the range of up to 150ft with ambient lighting and 100ft in total darkness. Having clear footage of any potential break ins or theft during the night is one of the most important features of a security camera.
Pin to Pinterest: