Defrosting a stand up freezer will help it run more efficiently and can be defrosted in four easy steps. Defrosting the freezer doesn’t have to be overwhelming and anyone can easy defrost a freezer. Follow my tips and easy steps for freezer defrosting success.
How To Defrost The Freezer In 4 Steps
This is my stand up freezer in the garage. CLEARLY it needs to be defrosted.
I have now let you into the inner sanctums of all I hide from the world. The mess and un organization of my freezer. You are now in my circle of trust and in the circle of trust we do not judge each others freezers.
This is the crux of the problem. I am going to venture a guess that at the thickest part the ice is 4 inches thick. Wowzers.
How long does it take to defrost the freezer?
The time it takes to defrost a freezer will depend on how large the freezer is, the thickness of the frost and the air temperature. When I defrost my stand up freezer I allow 6 hours to a full day to defrost the freezer. But you may not let your freezer get as thick with ice as I do so your time may be shorter than mine.
What to do with the frozen food while defrosting a freezer.
When defrosting a freezer you will have to find something to do with the food that is already frozen. If you are a planner, you might plan your meals around defrosting the freezer and use up what you already have frozen. I use large coolers to keep my frozen food in while my freezer is defrosting. The larger, the better. I don’t add extra ice or ice backs to the coolers because the food is already frozen!
Another option would be to as a friend or neighbor to see if they had room in their freezer to hold a few of your frozen foods.
Freezer defrosting tips
- Have a frozen gallon of water keeping the hose inserted into a garden hose. The garden hose runs out the garage and down the drive way.
- Be sure to check the drain hole making sure it is clear of ice.
- Once the freezer is defrosted wipe it down with hot water and bleach.
- Do not rub oil over your freezer because over time even at cold temperature that oil will go rancid.
How often do you need to defrost a freezer?
Defrosting a manual-defrost freezer should be done at least once a year. But more often if the ice build up is over a half inch or so. As you can tell…. I am more of the once a year kind of defroster. I know you will be better at defrosting your freezer than I am.
Can a hair dryer be used to defrost a freezer?
A hair dryer can be used to defrost a freezer but I suggest the steam method. A hair dryer will work but it will take a very long time. Also combining electricity and flowing water is not advisable.
What is the easiest way to defrost a freezer?
- Empty the contents of the freezer into coolers. I filled up my ‘coffin’ cooler putting the jars on the bottom and the flat times on top.
- Unplug the freezer and pull out the drain hose. Mine it is located on the front of the freezer, at the bottom, under a cover. Do your best to drain the freezer with the hose away from the freezer or into a bucket. Hopefully you are thawing your freezer on a hot day like I did. It was 90 degrees. Perfect freezer thawing weather. If it is not hot on the day you thaw your freezer, try putting bowls of hot water in the freezer and close the door. The steam will help melt the ice. Be sure to change the water often as the cold ice will drip in the bowl and cool the hot water.
- Plug the freezer back in and make sure it is running. Allow the freezer to drop in temperature to at least 35 degrees before filling.
- Refill your freezer!
Pin to Pinterest:
Do you follow me on Pinterest?
this post originally published Jun 13, 2013