Rhubarb crumble is the one dish dessert that is delightfully tart, sweet with a crunchy topping that is delicious served warm with ice cream, or chilled with a hot cup of coffee.
If you have more rhubarb than you know what to do with I would also point you to my rhubarb curd recipe. Delicious on scones or spooned over pound cake!
🌟 Here is why this rhubarb crumble recipe is amazing:
- A delightful combination of tart rhubarb and sweet crunchy topping makes a delicious one pan dessert.
- Add a cup of chopped strawberries to the fruit to make this rhubarb dessert a bit more sweet.
- An easy dessert to make to introduce your friends and families to rhubarb.
📝 Notes on the ingredients
Rhubarb Crumble Filing
- Rhubarb - fresh or frozen, chopped in 1 inch pieces. Do not use the green leaves.
- Lemon Juice - fresh if you have it but I often will use bottled
- Oats - Old fashioned oats
- Butter - chilled, cubed
🥣 How to make homemade rhubarb crumble
- Wash and chop the rhubarb into ½"-1" pieces.
- Place the rhubarb in a baking dish and toss with the flour, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract, cinamon, salt and nutmeg until coated.
Make the crumble topping
- Blend together the crumble topping until the butter is crumbled together with the other crumble ingredients. The topping will resemble peas much like when you are making crisco pie crust.
- Crumble the topping over the rhubbarb.
- Bake the rhubarb crumble at 375 degrees for 45-55 minutes until the crumble topping is golden brown.
🗒️ Frequently asked questions and tips:
If you have any leftovers, reheat the dessert in the microwave in 15-second increments until heated through
Make this dessert up to 24 hours ahead of baking it. Add an additional 10 minutes to the baking time when baking a cold dish.
More Rhubarb Recipes:
- Rhubarb Dump Cake - made without jello this one-pan dessert that uses either fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb, yellow cake mix, melted butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon & nutmeg.
- Rhubarb Syrup - Perfect for adding to lemonade, iced tea, margaritas or cocktails.
- Rhubarb Cake - orange zest and orange icing bring a delicious sweetness to balance the tart rhubarb.
- Rhubarb Curd - A balance of tangy and sweet this rhubarb curd recipe will have you skipping the pie.
- More Rhubarb Recipes
Rhubarb Crumble Recipe 🧾
Rubarb Crumble Filing
- 4 Cups Rhubarb Fresh or frozen, Chopped in 1 inch pieces
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Flour all purpose
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon ground
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon nutmeg ground
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar Light
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- 6 Tablespoons Butter chilled, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375.
Make the rhubarb crumble
- Wash and chop the rhubarb into ½"-1" pieces. Do not include the leaves.4 Cups Rhubarb
- Place the rhubarb in a baking dish and toss with the flour, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract, cinamon, salt and nutmeg until coated.4 Cups Rhubarb, ½ Cup Sugar, 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice, 2 Tablespoons Flour, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon Cinnamon, ½ teaspoon Salt, ¼ Teaspoon nutmeg
- Allow the rhubarb to rest in the dish while you make the crumble topping.
Make the crumble topping
- Blend togetherthe crumble topping until the butter is crumbled together with the other crumble ingredients. The topping will resemble peas much like when you are making crisco pie crust.⅓ cup all purpose flour, ⅓ cup brown sugar, ⅔ cup rolled oats, 6 Tablespoons Butter, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Crumble the topping over the rubbarb.
- Bake the rhubarb crumble for 45-55 minutes until the crumble topping is golden brown.