Rhubarb crumble is the one dish dessert that is delightfully tart, sweet with a crunchy topping that is delicious served warm with ice cream, or chilled with a hot cup of coffee.
If you have more rhubarb than you know what to do with I would also point you to my rhubarb curd recipe. Delicious on scones or spooned over pound cake!
🌟 Here is why this rhubarb crumble recipe is amazing:
- A delightful combination of tart rhubarb and sweet crunchy topping makes a delicious one pan dessert.
- Add a cup of chopped strawberries to the fruit to make this rhubarb dessert a bit more sweet.
- An easy dessert to make to introduce your friends and families to rhubarb.
🥫 Ingredients needed:
Here is a visual overview of the ingredients in the recipe. Scroll down to the recipe at the bottom for quantities.
📝 Notes on the ingredients
Rhubarb Crumble Filing
- Rhubarb - fresh or frozen, chopped in 1 inch pieces. Do not use the green leaves.
- Lemon Juice - fresh if you have it but I often will use bottled
- Oats - Old fashioned oats
- Butter - chilled, cubed
🥣 How to make homemade rhubarb crumble
- Wash and chop the rhubarb into ½"-1" pieces.
- Place the rhubarb in a baking dish and toss with the flour, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract, cinamon, salt and nutmeg until coated.
Make the crumble topping
- Blend together the crumble topping until the butter is crumbled together with the other crumble ingredients. The topping will resemble peas much like when you are making crisco pie crust.
- Crumble the topping over the rhubbarb.
- Bake the rhubarb crumble at 375 degrees for 45-55 minutes until the crumble topping is golden brown.
📝 Frequently asked questions, answers and tips:
If you have any leftovers, reheat the dessert in the microwave in 15-second increments until heated through
Make this dessert up to 24 hours ahead of baking it. Add an additional 10 minutes to the baking time when baking a cold dish.
🪴 More Rhubarb Recipes:
- Strawberry Rhubarb Jam - This strawberry rhubarb jam recipe can be made with fresh or frozen rhubarb and your choice of fresh or frozen strawberries.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cast Iron Crisp - My mouth-watering strawberry rhubarb crisp recipe is easily made with minimum clean-up in a cast-iron skillet.
- Rhubarb Chutney - The perfect addition to any charcuterie board this easy chutney recipe is a delicious balance of savory, sweet and spice.
- Rhubarb Crumble - Rhubarb crumble is the one dish dessert that is delightfully tart, sweet with a crunchy topping that is delicious served warm with ice cream or chilled with a hot cup of coffee.
- Rhubarb Basil Smash - Tart rhubarb is balanced out with the sweet syrup and the muddling of basil gives the cocktail a brightness of flavor.
- Blackberry Dump Cake - Crunchy, sweet cobbler-like topping over blackberries is a delicious dessert.
- Rhubarb Jam - Rhubarb jam is so simple to make and a great jam recipe for beginners. The perfect balance of tart and sweet, this is the easiest homemade jam.
- Rhubarb Sour Cocktail
- Rhubarb Syrup
- Rhubarb Basil Smash Cocktail
There is more to a recipe than just the recipe card. Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!
Rubarb Crumble Filing
- 4 Cups Rhubarb Fresh or frozen, Chopped in 1 inch pieces
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Flour all purpose
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon ground
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon nutmeg ground
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar Light
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- 6 Tablespoons Butter chilled, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375.
Make the rhubarb crumble
- Wash and chop the rhubarb into ½"-1" pieces. Do not include the leaves.4 Cups Rhubarb
- Place the rhubarb in a baking dish and toss with the flour, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract, cinamon, salt and nutmeg until coated.4 Cups Rhubarb, ½ Cup Sugar, 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice, 2 Tablespoons Flour, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon Cinnamon, ½ teaspoon Salt, ¼ Teaspoon nutmeg
- Allow the rhubarb to rest in the dish while you make the crumble topping.
Make the crumble topping
- Blend togetherthe crumble topping until the butter is crumbled together with the other crumble ingredients. The topping will resemble peas much like when you are making crisco pie crust.⅓ cup all purpose flour, ⅓ cup brown sugar, ⅔ cup rolled oats, 6 Tablespoons Butter, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Crumble the topping over the rubbarb.
- Bake the rhubarb crumble for 45-55 minutes until the crumble topping is golden brown.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected. SavoringTheGood®