The Williams Sonoma mulling spices make the most delicious mulled cider. These DIY homemade holiday mulling spices are a great gift idea for hostess gifts, teacher gifts, or just keeping on hand to spice up apple cider and wine during the winter season.
I have a free printable instruction tag for you to print and add to the jar. Scroll to the bottom of the post for the free downloadable printable.
great gift idea for hostess gifts, teacher gifts, or just keeping on hand to spice up cider and wine during the winter season. “>
What is mulling spice made of?
This is a copycat recipe of the Williams Sonoma mulling spice and I have done my best to literally deconstruct a sample size of the mulling spices you can purchase at W&S. I am not using the exact variety of spices called out on the label but ones I had in my kitchen cabinet. Also I am not including the oils that care called out on the ingredient list on the label. It is not exact for these reasons.
Here is the breakdown of the separation of ingredients for 1 cup of Williams Sonoma mulling spices:
- Whole all spice berries: 16 grams
- Dried Orange Peel: 26 grams
- Crushed cinnamon sticks: 69 grams
- Whole Cloves: 9 grams
What’s the best cider for mulled cider?
I am a big fan of using a local, unfiltered apple cider. By the apple cider being un filtered or partially filtered, it is going to have more body to the drink and contain more nutrients than a filtered cider. You can change up your mulled cider by switching out part of the cider for apple juice, pear juice, cranberry juice or cherry juice.
How do you make a small batch of mulled cider?
Fill a large tea ball infuser with 2 tablespoons of these mulling spices and in a medium sauce pan, gently simmer 4 cups of apple cider over medium heat for 20 minutes. After the simmer time is up, gently remove the infuser ball and serve the mulled cider in a mug with a garnish of a whole cinnamon stick and a grate of fresh nutmeg.
How do you make a large batch of mulled cider for a crowd?
I like to make mulled cider for a crowd in a large crock pot or slow cooker. For every 1/2 gallon of cider you are going to need 1/4 cup of mulling spices. For every gallon of cider you are going to need 1/2 cup of mulling spices. Warm in the crockpot for a minimum of 2 hours on low or 1 hour on high. Remove the spice ball from the cider before serving.
I don’t have a tea ball? What else can I use?
Not a problem if you don’t have a tea ball for the mulling spices! Use a square of cheese cloth, tied up with string instead of the tea diffuser. Alternatively you can use a paper coffee filter, tied with string as well.
Want to give this as a gift?
I have made a free printable tag for you to add to your jar. Instructions are on the tag and directions on where to go to make a refill of this recipe.
Printable tag tips:
- Download the PDF.
- Make sure to print the tags in a landscape or horizontal orientation.
- Print on card stock (110 lb)
- Use the guide marks to help cut apart the tags.
Giving mulling spice as a gift
- Make a batch of mulling spices.
- Print and cut out the tags.
- Fill a 8 ounce canning jar with 1 1/2 cups of mulling spices.
- Close with a lid and a ring.
- Cut 27 inches of twine or string.
- Punch holes in the top of the tag.
- Lace the twine or string through the holes and tie around the neck of the jar.
- Optional: include a spice ball with the jar, tying the chain under the twine.
Free Printable Tag:
- Combine all ingredients and store in an air tight container.
- 2 tablespoons of these mulling spices in a tea ball and in a medium sauce pan, gently simmer 4 cups of apple cider over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- For every 1/2 gallon of cider you are going to need 1/4 cup of mulling spices.
- For every gallon of cider you are going to need 1/2 cup of mulling spices. Warm in the crockpot for a minimum of 2 hours on low or 1 hour on high.
- Remove the spice ball from the cider before serving.
- crush cinnamon sticks in a zip top bag with a rolling pin.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, Savoring The Good, LLC may earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 75 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 6mg Carbohydrates: 24g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 16g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g