This copycat chipotle carnitas recipe is easily made at home in a crock-pot or a dutch oven. Make this pulled pork at the start of the week and you have so many easy dinner options throughout the week.
Is this recipe from Chipotle?
This is my interpretation of a copy cat recipe because no matter how hard I try, I can not make carnitas as well as the good folks at Chipotle. I think it is pretty close… Close enough for me to curb that craving until I can get across town and have an official carnitas bowl.
All you pork lovers need to check out my sous vide pork chop recipe!
What goes with pork carnitas?
- white rice or brown rice
- seasoned black beans or seasoned pinto beans
- grilled bell peppers
- grilled onions
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Chipotle corn salsa recipe
- Salsa Verde
- Black Bean Salsa
- Sour Cream
What kind of meat is used for carnitas?
The best kind of meat to use for carnitas is a pork butt. Also known as a pork shoulder or Boston butt. There are bone in and boneless versions of pork butt. I am a fan of bone in. It is a little cheaper than a boneless pork butt but, I feel like the bone adds to the flavor of the end result.
How do you serve carnitas meat?
My favorite way to serve carnitas is in a taco with rice, beans, a fresh salsa, shredded cheese, guacamole, sour cream and cilantro. But another delicious option is to use it in burritos, enchiladas, taco bowl or as part of any dish that calls for pulled pork.
Chipotle Carnitas Ingredients:
- boneless, skinless pork shoulder
- Kosher salt
- ground pepper
- vegetable oil
- garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- thyme sprigs
- bay leaves, fresh or dry
Chipotle Carnitas Oven instructions:
- Preheat oven
- Season pork shoulder all over with salt and pepper.
- Sear pork.
- Add 3 cups water to the pot, and seasonings.
- Cover and cook.
- See recipe card for detailed instructions.
How to shred carnitas:
- Remove the dutch oven from oven.
- Remove the pork and place on a cutting board.
- Using two forks, shred pork into bite-size pieces
- Return the pork to the pot and mix the meat with all that wonderful liquid that it has been taking a bath in for the past few hours.
- Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 357 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 102mg Sodium: 98mg Carbohydrates: 1g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 27g
original publish date: Apr 29, 2016