This Hoppin' John recipe, made in a slow cooker, is a traditional New Year’s Recipe but is perfect for any time you are craving slow cooker black-eyed peas.
These black-eyed peas and rice are sure to bring you luck in the New Year
Here is why this slow cooker hoppin' john recipe is amazing:
- Made in a slow cooker crock-pot this recipe will free up space on the stove for other recipes.
- Customize it with garnishes of your choice for the perfect bite.
- A great recipe to use up leftover ham. Also check out ham pot pie, crock pot ham and potato soup, and croque-monsieur egg rolls for more delicious ways of using up leftover holiday ham.
- Black-Eyed Peas - canned, undrained
- Onion - sweet or white, diced
- Celery - washed and diced
- Bell Pepper - (any color), seeds removed and diced
- Smoked Ham - cut into small bite-sized pieces, leftover ham is fine
- Cilantro - chopped (optional but delicious!)
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Cajun Seasoning - check out my Mexican corn dip that also has Cajun seasoning
- Bay Leaves
- Garlic - minced or a couple of cloves of garlic confit
- Spicy Tomato juice - V-8 Juice shown here
- Diced Tomatoes (optional but adds extra flavors) I use canned diced tomatoes from my garden
- Long Grain Rice - Jasmine, American long-grain white, brown rice, or Basmati rice
How to make Hoppin' John in the slow cooker
- Add all ingredients except cooked rice to the slow cooker.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 2-3 hours.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Stir in hot cooked rice or serve Hoppin' John over hot cooked rice and serve.
🗒️ Frequently asked questions and tips:
Any leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 4 days and reheated as needed.
Chopped green onions tops, chopped cilantro, cherry tomatoes, or crumbled bacon can be used as garnish.
6-8 slices of thick bacon strips cooked and broken into small pieces can be substituted for ham.
Pinto beans can be used in place of black eyed peas.
Original V-8 can be used instead of spicy for a milder version.
I am a fan of serving warm cornbread with Hoppin' John. I like a slice while my kids will crumble the cornbread over the beans.
- 1 can 15 ounces Black-Eyed Peas
- ¾ cups Onion diced
- 3 stalks Celery diced
- 1 small Bell Pepper any color, diced
- 1 cup Smoked Ham cut into small bite sized pieces
- ¼ - ½ cup Cilantro chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1 can 6 ounce Spicy V-8 Juice
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes optional
- 1 cup Cooked Jasmine or Long Grain Rice of choice
- Add all ingredients except cooked rice to the slow cooker.1 can, ¾ cups Onion, 3 stalks Celery, 1 small Bell Pepper, 1 cup Smoked Ham, ¼ - ½ cup Cilantro, Salt and pepper to taste, 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning, 2 Bay Leaves, 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic, 1 can, 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- Stir to combine
- cook on low for 2-3 hours.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package instructions.1 cup Cooked Jasmine or Long Grain Rice of choice
- Remove bay leaves before serving
- Stir in hot cooked rice and serve.