With the help of this sous vide asparagus recipe your asparagus will be tender, crisp and full of flavor. I find this is a fail proof way on how to cook asparagus.
How To Cook Asparagus Using Sous Vide
It is easier learn how to cook asparagus than you may think. Asparagus can go from crisp to over done faster than a pot of water boiling over.
Set Up Your Sous Vide
Set up your sous vide. I am using a large heavy bottom pot. Make sure your vessel is large enough to fully submerge your sous vide bag.
Make sure you protect your surface.
Set your sous vide to 180 F.
Sous Vide Asparagus
Trim the dry ends off the asparagus.
In a zip top or sous vide bag, place the asparagus and a few spoons for weight.
Water Displacement Method
Using the water displacement method to force the air out of the bag.
Archimedes’ principle states that the upward buoyant force that is exerted on a body immersed in a fluid, whether fully or partially submerged, is equal to the weight of the fluid that the body displaces and acts in the upward direction at the center of mass of the displaced fluid. Archimedes’ principle is a law of physics fundamental to fluid mechanics. It was formulated by Archimedes of Syracuse. source
So by pressing the asparagus, in the bag, below the surface of the water the pressure of the water will force the air out of the bag. Just don’t let the water go IN the bag.
If your asparagus bag is still floating use something to weight it down.
Make sure the asparagus is below the water level.
Set the timer for 10 minutes for crisp and asparagus with a snap.
Set the timer for 20 minutes if you like your asparagus to have a fold and a bend before it snaps.
Normally when you sous vide, there is no cary over cooking if you were to leave the product in the water. Asparagus is on the the exceptions. It WILL continue to cook if you leave it in the water.
Perfectly Cooked Asparagus
Not the best photo BUT this is a perfectly cooked piece of asparagus.
Other Ways To Cook Asparagus:
- Boil asparagus. 5 minutes for small, 7 minutes for large
- Broil asparagus. 6-8 minutes
- Steam asparagus. 5-10 minutes
- Grill asparagus. 15 minutes
What is the perfect accompaniment to asparagus?
Don’t let the asparagus sit in the water.
- 1 pound asparagus
Amount Per ServingCalories 22 Sodium 2mg Carbohydrates 4g Fiber 2g Sugar 2g Protein 2g
Pin To Pinterest:
Good For Pinterest:
You Might Like This One:
More Sous Vide Recipes:
- Sous Vide Turkey Breast
- Sea Bass with roasted tomatoes, corn, olives and capers
- The best eggnog recipe
- Pickled banana peppers
- Sous Vide Creme Brulee
- Sous Vide Cold Brew Coffee.
- Sous Vide Oreo Cheesecake
- Sous Vide Grapefruit Infused Gin
- Homemade cucumber infused gin
- Sous Vide Lemon Curd
- Sous Vide Pomegranate Curd Recipe
- Sous Vide Blood Orange Curd
- Sous Vide Homemade Limoncello Recipe
- How To Cook Asparagus Using Sous Vide
- Sous Vide Hollandaise
- Sous Vide Vanilla Extract
- Sous Vide Mascarpone Cheese
- Lilac Infused Alcohol
- How to perfectly cook shrimp
- Sous vide corned beef
- Whole30 Avocado Toast with a Perfectly Poached Egg
- Sous Vide Vanilla Bean Honey
- Sous Vide Infused Hot Honey
- Homemade clotted cream
- Egg yolk croquette