Mississippi chicken made in the crock-pot is a delicious combination of boneless skinless chicken breasts, Ranch dressing mix, Au Jus mix, pepperoncini peppers and juice and butter cooked to tender perfection.
Shred the chicken or leave the boneless breasts whole, there are so many ways to enjoy this easy crockpot chicken recipe. Serve with a side of green beans from my green bean recipes collection or maybe one of the baby potatoes recipes.
Be sure to leave enough time to allow a tray of Rodes rolls to fully proof because you are going to be wanting to mop up every drop of the amazing sauce this Mississippi Chicken makes. Be sure to check out my chicken quarters recipes collection.
- ✨ Here is why this recipe is amazing:
- 🥫 Ingredients needed:
- 📝 Ingredient notes:
- 🔄 Substitutions
- 🔪 How to make Mississippi Chicken, basic instructions
- 📷 Crock Pot Mississippi Chicken Recipe, photo instructions
- ❄️ Storage tips
- ♨️ Reheating Instructions
- 👩🍳 Chef Tip
- 📄 Related Recipes
- Chicken Recipes
- Mississippi Chicken (Crock-Pot)
- 👩🏻🍳 Sarah Mock
✨ Here is why this recipe is amazing:
- Set it and forget it!
- My son will ask for this recipe and I am thankful!
- Everyone loves this chicken crockpot recipe.
- The leftovers are even better than the first!
🥫 Ingredients needed:
Here is a visual overview of the ingredients in the recipe. Scroll down to the recipe at the bottom for quantities.
📝 Ingredient notes:
- Chicken Breasts - boneless skinless chicken breasts are featured here but see the substitutions for other options.
- Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Packet - If you have another brand that your family likes, use that packet.
- Au Jus Gravy Packet - this is NOT the brown gravy packet. They are two different products. You will get a different outcome if you use the brown gravy packet.
- Peperoncini - I have whole ones in this recipe and include a splash of the liquid. If you use the sliced ones, measure with your heart.
- Butter - I am using an entire stick. Yes, it is rich and I think it is worth it. If you would like to use ½ a stick, go for it.
Instead of using boneless, skinless chicken breasts, split chicken breasts, chicken thighs or boneless chicken thighs can be substituted. The reason I use boneless skinless chicken breasts is for the ease of shredding the meat at the end of the cook. The breast bone and the thigh bones will give added flavor to the dish but will add a few minutes of extra work when shredding the meat.
🔪 How to make Mississippi Chicken, basic instructions
- Add all the ingredients to the Crock Pot..
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-5 or until the chicken falls apart.
- Serve with rice, potatoes or pasta.
- See Chef's tip for how to thicken the sauce, if desired.
📷 Crock Pot Mississippi Chicken Recipe, photo instructions
- Add the chicken breasts to the Crock-Pot and sprinkle with the packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing powder.
2. Sprinkle the Au Jus packet next.
3. Add the stick of butter on top. I like to put it in the center so that it slowly melts and bastes the chicken.
4. Add the pepperoncini and a splash of the pepperoncini juice. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-5 hours.
5. Shred the chicken if desired, or serve as a whole piece of chicken. Serve with Rice, potatoes or pasta.
❄️ Storage tips
Once the chicken and sauce have cooled, store the leftovers in a closed container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
♨️ Reheating Instructions
I will warm leftovers in the microwave on 50% power in 30-second increments until it is heated through.
👩🍳 Chef Tip
To thicken the sauce, whisk together 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with ¼ cup of water. Add the slurry to the slow cooker for the last 10 minutes of the cook. Thickening is not necessary but it is an option.
📄 Related Recipes
Mississippi Chicken (Crock-Pot)
There is more to a recipe than just the recipe card. Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Add the chicken breasts to the Crock-Pot and sprinkle with the packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing powder.4 Chicken Breasts, 1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Packet
- Sprinkle the Au Jus packet next.1 packet Au Jus
- Add the stick of butter on top. I like to put it in the center so that it slowly melts and bastes the chicken.1 stick butter
- Add the pepperoncini and a splash of the pepperoncini juice. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-5 hours.1 Jar Pepperoncini
- Shred the chicken if desired, or serve as a whole piece of chicken. Serve with Rice, potatoes or pasta.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected. SavoringTheGood®
👩🏻🍳 Sarah Mock
Sarah Mock is a classically trained Chef and graduate of Johnson & Wales University. A culinary blogger for 14 years Sarah helps the home cook prepare her recipes with professional results.