Dorito chicken casserole is an easy chicken casserole that my family loved. This is a cheesy chicken dish that has the crunch of Doritos and the spice of rotel tomatoes. All our favorite flavors together in one dish.
Quick! Before you forget, click here to save this recipe to Pinterest.
What is Dorito chicken casserole?
Dorito chicken casserole has shredded chicken combined with cream of chicken soup, sour cream and has the kick of rotel tomatoes. The chicken mixture is layered with crushed Doritos in a casserole dish and shredded cheese topped with more cheese and Doritos. It is a Dorito lovers dream dish!
For the full recipe and complete directions scroll to the bottom of the post where the recipe card is! You can also print the recipe there!
Can you use rotisserie chicken in this easy chicken casserole?
If you are in a pinch or a hurry and don’t have precooked, shredded chicken a rotisserie chicken will work in this casserole recipe. The flavor profile of the rotisserie chicken may alter the final results of the dish but I assure you, it will be delicious.
After dinner we will have a little dessert. Some of the recipes my family loves are my famous scotcheroos, a nice thick slice of rhubarb cake, and in strawberry season I might make a strawberry rhubarb cast iron crisp.
More recipes that use chicken:
- Sour cream chicken enchiladas
- Easy Chicken Cordon Blu
- Sheet pan chicken sausage and peppers
- Crockpot Chicken tortilla soup
- Grilled buffalo chicken pizza
- Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs
Can Dorito casserole be made ahead of time?
This recipe for Dorito chicken casserole can be made ahead of time and baked off for dinner. I find that the Doritos do take on a softer texture but that is just my observation. I would reserve a handful of crisp Doritos to give an added layer of crunch when the dish comes out of the oven.
Can I substitute cream of mushroom soup into Dorito chicken casserole.
Cream of mushroom soup would be a good substitute for the cream of chicken soup in my recipe for Dorito chicken casserole. I have done it when I am out of the cream of chicken soup and the only thing my family noticed was ‘something’ was different but they couldn’t pick out exactly what it was.
What else can I use instead of Rotel in Chicken Dorito casserole?
If you are not a fan of Rotel or are out of it I would substitute in a thick salsa or a well drained salsa. You are going to want to use about a cup.
Can this casserole be frozen?
Yes you can freeze this recipe! Assemble the recipe up until adding the Dorito topping and wrap tightly with foil. When you are ready to bake it add the crushed Doritos and extra cheese. Re-cover with foil and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven until is cooked thoroughly and bubbling, approximately 45 minutes-1 hour.
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1 10-ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 packet taco seasoning
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes, drained
- 1 large bag Doritos, medium crushed
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray and set the oven to 350.
- Combine the shredded chicken with the cream of chicken soup and sour cream in a large bowl.
- Fold in the can of drained Rotel tomatoes and the taco seasoning.
- Crush the Doritos to medium bite sized pieces and spread 1/3 of the crushed Doritos evenly on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Spread 1/2 of the chicken mixture over the Dorito chips.
- Spread 1/2 the shredded cheese blend over the first creamy chicken layer.
- Repeat with a second layer of crushed chips, chicken blend and finish with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Top with any remaining shredded cheese or crushed Doritos when serving.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 295 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 78mg Sodium: 733mg Carbohydrates: 9g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 2g Protein: 17g
Pin to Pinterest:
One Pot Chili Mac And Cheese Recipe
This is one of my easy week night meals. My kids love my recipe for one pot chili mac and cheese.
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
This crockpot Mexican corn soup has layers of flavor that include shredded chicken, black beans, creamed corn, Mexican spices as well as a creamy broth.
Sous Vide Beef Burgundy
Sous vide beef burgundy is an easy recipe to introduce you to sous vide cooking. Combining the techniques and flavors of a traditional beef burgundy with the advanced technology of sous vide cooking will make you change the way you cook beef burgundy forever.
Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos Recipe
If you are looking for an easy fish taco recipe you need to make my easy Mahi Mahi taco recipe. The Mahi Mahi in this delicious fish taco recipe is tender yet firm thanks to the use of the Sous Vide cooking method.
Crockpot Ham And Potato Soup
This cheesy crockpot ham and potato soup uses up leftover ham, potatoes, corn and peas. Set your crockpot in the morning and come home to delicious soup your whole family will love.