Dorito chicken casserole is an easy chicken casserole that my family loved. This is a cheesy chicken dish that has the crunch of Doritos and the spice of rotel tomatoes. All our favorite flavors together in one dish.
Quick! Before you forget, click here to save this recipe to Pinterest.
Can you use rotisserie chicken in this casserole?
If you are in a pinch or a hurry and don’t have precooked, shredded chicken a rotisserie chicken will work in this casserole recipe. The flavor profile of the rotisserie chicken may alter the final results of the dish but I assure you, it will be delicious.
After dinner we will have a little dessert. Some of the recipes my family loves are my famous scotcheroos, a nice thick slice of rhubarb cake, and in strawberry season I might make a strawberry rhubarb cast iron crisp.
More recipes that use chicken:
- Sour cream chicken enchiladas
- Easy Chicken Cordon Blu
- Sheet pan chicken sausage and peppers
- Crockpot Chicken tortilla soup
- Grilled buffalo chicken pizza
- Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs
Can Dorito casserole be made ahead of time?
This recipe for Dorito chicken casserole can be made ahead of time and baked off for dinner. I find that the Doritos do take on a softer texture but that is just my observation. I would reserve a handful of crisp Doritos to give an added layer of crunch when the dish comes out of the oven.
Can I substitute cream of mushroom soup in this casserole?
Cream of mushroom soup would be a good substitute for the cream of chicken soup in my recipe for Dorito chicken casserole. I have done it when I am out of the cream of chicken soup and the only thing my family noticed was ‘something’ was different but they couldn’t pick out exactly what it was.
What else can I use instead of Rotel?
If you are not a fan of Rotel or are out of it I would substitute in a thick salsa or a well drained salsa. You are going to want to use about a cup.
Can this casserole be frozen?
Yes you can freeze this recipe! Assemble the recipe up until adding the Dorito topping and wrap tightly with foil. When you are ready to bake it add the crushed Doritos and extra cheese. Re-cover with foil and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven until is cooked thoroughly and bubbling, approximately 45 minutes-1 hour.
Pin to Pinterest:
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1 10-ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 packet taco seasoning
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes, drained
- 1 large bag Doritos, medium crushed
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray and set the oven to 350.
- Combine the shredded chicken with the cream of chicken soup and sour cream in a large bowl.
- Fold in the can of drained Rotel tomatoes and the taco seasoning.
- Crush the Doritos to medium bite sized pieces and spread 1/3 of the crushed Doritos evenly on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Spread 1/2 of the chicken mixture over the Dorito chips.
- Spread 1/2 the shredded cheese blend over the first creamy chicken layer.
- Repeat with a second layer of crushed chips, chicken blend and finish with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Top with any remaining shredded cheese or crushed Doritos when serving.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 295 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 78mg Sodium: 733mg Carbohydrates: 9g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 2g Protein: 17g