This is my favorite sour cream chicken enchiladas recipe! My family loves Mexican food and I love how easy this chicken enchilada casserole is to make.
I have been trying to serve chicken recipes that are out of the ordinary recently. Dorito chicken casserole and chicken cordon blu have been recent favorites for my family. The cordon blu is easier to make than you think!
What do you serve with sour cream chicken enchiladas?
I have a few favorites that I like to serve with this recipe. I like to top my enchilada with pickled onions and my kids like to add my salsa verde to the side. I always have a bowl of chips and Chipotle’s roasted corn salsa on the table. If I think of it I will also make black bean, corn salsa but I don’t always remember to have a mango in the house!
How far ahead can this casserole be made?
If I know that I won’t have time to make dinner on a school night I will prep this meal the night before. Just be sure to cover it with plastic wrap or foil and keep it chilled in the refrigerator.
For the full recipe and complete directions scroll to the bottom of the post where the recipe card is! You can also print the recipe there!
How do you store the leftovers sour cream enchiladas?
If you have leftovers, and we do from time to time, portion them out into individual closed containers and store in the refrigerator. They should be good for up to 3 days.
What is the best way to reheat the enchiladas?
If I am home, I will warm the enchiladas in the oven. I place the enchiladas on a oven safe dish and put into the oven. THEN I turn the oven on to 350. By the time the oven has preheated, the enchiladas are warm. But if my husband takes them to work, he reheats them in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until heated through.
Can anything else be added to this recipe to give it another layer of flavor?
While my family loves the mild flavor and creamy cheesy sauce in these chicken enchiladas, I know that it might need a few more flavors for some tasted. Feel free to add black beans, corn, jalapeños, chopped cilantro or even switch out the flour tortillas for corn tortillas. Use this recipe as a basic recipe that you make your own to suit your tasted.
Sour cream chicken enchilada ingredients:
- chicken breasts, cooked
- cream of chicken soup
- diced chilis, canned
- cream cheese
- Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- olive oil
- flour tortillas
- cilantro (garnish)
Pin to Pinterest:
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 4 ounce cans diced chilis,
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups cheddar jack cheese, shredded
- 8 ounce sour cream
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Shred the chicken breasts or cut them into bite sized pieces.
- Over medium heat, sauté the onions in the olive oil until the onions are still crisp but have taken on a bit of color.
- Add the 2 cans of undrained diced chilis to the onions in the pan and deglaze the pan with the moisture in the chilis, heat through.
- In a medium sauce pan, over medium high heat, whisks together the cream of chicken soup, cream cheese and 1 cup cheddar jack cheese to a simmer. Be sure the cream cheese has fully melted.
- Add the shredded chicken and half the enchilada sauce to the sautéed onions and green chilis. Stir to combine.
- Portion out approximately 1/2 cup of enchilada filling onto each flour tortilla.
- Roll each tortilla, ensuring the filling is distributed the length of the tortilla.
- Place seam side down into the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the remaining sour cream sauce over the rolled up filled tortillas.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly around the edges. Bake for an additional 10 minutes if you like the cheese to be golden brown.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, Savoring The Good, LLC may earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 823 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 92mg Sodium: 772mg Carbohydrates: 106g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 3g Protein: 35g