Air fryer tater tots are ready in 15 minutes, crispy golden brown on the outside and perfectly cooked on the inside.
Once you have made frozen tater tots in the air fryer, you will never use your oven to make tots again!
- ✨ Here is why this recipe is amazing:
- 🥔 Ingredients needed:
- 📝 Ingredient notes:
- 🔄 Substitutions
- 🔥 How to cook frozen tater tots in the air fryer
- 📷 Making Air Fryer Tater Tots, photo instructions
- ❄️ Storage Tips
- 🍽️ Serving Suggestions
- 📝 Frequently asked questions, answers and tips:
- 👩🏻🍳 Sarah Mock
✨ Here is why this recipe is amazing:
- Take help from frozen tater tots to get crunchy tots on the table in minutes. No prep is needed!
- Skip heating up the oven and your kitchen by using your countertop air fryer.
- The perfect side dish or a great appetizer for game day.
- Frozen air-fried tater tots are so much easier to make in the air fryer than in your oven.
- Tots come out crispy every time, unlike soggy tots that you get from using a microwave.
🥔 Ingredients needed:
You guessed it! Use your favorite brand of frozen tater tots. Don't discount the store brand because sometimes the store brand is a national brand in a different bag.
Here is a visual overview of the ingredients in the recipe. Scroll down to the recipe at the bottom for quantities.
📝 Ingredient notes:
Air frying tater tots is a healthier version versus deep frying tater tots in oil. The outside is still crispy and golden brown and there is less residual fat when using an air fryer.
If you are keeping a gluten-free diet, be sure to read the ingredient label on your bag of tots. Some companies will use a gluten binder when making their tater tots and you would want to be sure that your tots will agree with you.
Veggie tots are now available in most grocery stores. A great way to get extra vegetables into your meal plan but the vegetables are in tot form!
🔥 How to cook frozen tater tots in the air fryer
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F.
- Add frozen tater tots to the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 5 minutes, shake basket and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
📷 Making Air Fryer Tater Tots, photo instructions
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 F. Add frozen tots in a single layer, as much as possible.
2. Cook for 5 minutes and after 5 minutes, shake the basket or use a pair of tongs to turn the tots.
3. Air fry for an additional 5 minutes allowing the tots to take on a golden color and become crisp.
4. Serve while the tots are still hot.
❄️ Storage Tips
When storing frozen tater tots, be sure to remove as much air from the bag as possible. Air and moisture are what lead to freezer burn.
When storing cooked tater tots, be sure to allow them to cool completely before storing in an air tight container in the refrigerator. By storing warm tots, moisture can collect in the storage container, making the tots soggy.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
I am not going to suggest that you can make a meal out of air-fried frozen tater tots but I have made a meal out of tater tots cooked in the air fryer! There is no judgment here.
Serve with classic ketchup, ranch dressing, as a side for burgers or chicken nuggets. I make tots and include them in the tacos when I make tacos with my Cuban Pork.
📝 Frequently asked questions, answers and tips:
Depending on the brand and depending on your seasoning preferences, tater tots don't need much seasoning. A sprinkle of table salt, while they are still hot, can always be added but the choice is up to you.
If you choose to add an extra layer of seasoning to your tater tots and want to go beyond the typical salt I would suggest Old bay seasoning, Jerk seasoning, herbs de Provance, taco seasoning, Seasoned salt or any other dry seasoning you love. Start with a light sprinkle on hot tots and add more to your liking.
👩🍳 Chef Tip
I will put my leftover tots in a cold air fryer and then preheat the oven to 350. By the time the air fryer has heated, the tater tots are reheated. Results will vary.
Tater Tots In Air Fryer
There is more to a recipe than just the recipe card. Frequently Asked Questions within the blog post that you may find helpful. Simply scroll back up to read them!
- 1 32 ounce bag Tater tots
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 °F. Add frozen tots in a single layer, as much as possible.1 32 ounce bag Tater tots
- Cook for 5 minutes and after 5 minutes, shake the basket or use a pair of tongs to turn the tots.
- Air fry for an additional 5 minutes allowing the tots to take on a golden color and become crisp.
- Serve while the tots are still hot.
Nutritional facts are estimates and are provided as a courtesy to the reader. Please utilize your own brand nutritional values to double check against our estimates. Nutritional values are calculated via a third party. Changing ingredients, amounts or cooking technique will alter the estimated nutritional calculations.
Sharing of this recipe to social media is both encouraged and appreciated. Please share the direct link back to the recipe. Copy/Pasting and/or screenshots of the recipe to any social media is strictly prohibited. Content and photographs are copyright protected. SavoringTheGood®
👩🏻🍳 Sarah Mock
Sarah Mock is a classically trained Chef and graduate of Johnson & Wales University. A culinary blogger for 13 years Sarah helps the home cook prepare her recipes with professional results.