This croque-monsieur egg roll recipe is a twist on croque-monsieur, a classic French grilled ham and cheese sandwich. The croque-monsieur egg roll has all the delicious flavors of ham, gruyere, and béchamel in an egg roll wrapper. Serve warm and crispy as the perfect appetizer or game time snack.
If you are a fan of these non traditional egg rolls, you are going to want to check out my Tex-Mex egg rolls, Thanksgiving turkey egg rolls, buffalo chicken dip egg rolls or my Philly cheesesteak egg rolls.
The first time I made these egg rolls I had to stop myself from being Meg Ryan in THAT scene from ‘When Harry Met Sally’. These are THAT good.
First up is the béchamel sauce. Now, béchamel sauce is one of the classic ‘mother sauces’ in classical cooking. Don’t let that intimidate you. It is just a few steps and people will think you are a rock star for making it. Totally worth it.
Béchamel Sauce Ingredients
- 2 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 Tablespoon Flour
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
How to make make Béchamel Sauce
- Melt butter in a small pan.
- Add the flour and whisk over a low heat for about two minutes. You have now made a roux.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking after each addition to get rid of the lumps.
- Add the parmesan and whisk until smooth, season with salt. If it get too thick, add a splash of milk and continue to whisk it.
- You know the sauce is ready when it clings to a spoon.
Croque-Monsieur Egg Roll Filling
- 1 Cup chopped Ham
- 1 Cup Gruyere cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Whole Grain Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley, Minced
- 1/2 of the Béchamel Sauce (see above)
- 1 Package Wonton Wrappers
How to make Croque-Monsieur Egg Roll Filling
- In a food processor, chop enough ham to make 1 cup. This is a delicious way to use up leftover ham. You are also going to want to check out my recipe for Ham Pot Pie.
- Grate 1 cup of Gruyere cheese. If Gruyere cheese is not available Swiss cheese can be substituted.
- Combine the chopped ham, Gruyere cheese, whole grain mustard and the minced parsley with 1/2 of the Béchamel sauce from the above recipe. The second half will be used for dipping.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of Croque-Monsieur Egg Roll filling in the center of a wonton wrapper.
- Brush the last bit of the wonton wrapper with water and seal shut.
- Drop in hot fry oil of your choice until crisp and golden brown on all sides.
- Drain on a paper towel and serve with the remaining Béchamel sauce as a dip.
Follow the following pictorial instructions:
The dip is best served warm.
Let’s look at some pretty pictures of the Croque-Monsieur Egg Rolls:
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 96 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 20mg Sodium: 270mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Protein: 5g